Sole Representative Visa

The Representative route has been overshadowed by the popularity of the Tier 1 Entrepreneurial route. However, since the Entrepreneurial route has been closed, the Representative route has overtaken as a serious alternative to business men and women looking to move into the British market.

What is the Route?

In a snapshot, a Senior Representative of an Overseas Business can apply to enter the UK for the purpose of setting up a UK branch. To qualify, the applicant must have the authority to bind the company and to setup and register an overseas branch. If successful the Home Office grants an initial Visa of three years and the applicant has the right to extend for a further two years. After five years the applicant can apply to settle permanently in the UK should they wish.

A major attraction of the Sole Representative Visa route is that there is no prerequisite for investment funds. Therefore, a successful overseas business is not required to demonstrate accessibility to a certain level of investment funds prior to submitting their application. This is appealing because you can invest required amount of funding without an investment for investment’s sake. The route allows companies to expand into the British markets, whilst developing their Global Brands.

It should be noted that the business is required to submit their Global Business Activities including assets and accounts as part of the application to the Home Office. Further, the application should accompany a detailed business plan for the intended UK business activities.

The Sole Representative Visa route has become more appropriate for overseas business men and women to expand into the UK.

Who can be granted this Visa?

It is important that you understand whether or not you can qualify under this route. This route is not suitable for everyone, you must:

  • have been recruited and employed outside the UK;
  • intend to work full-time for your current employer once you are in the UK;
  • be a senior employee of the overseas business;
  • have full authority to make operational decisions on behalf of the business;
  • have extensive industry related knowledge; and
  • fulfill the English language requirement.

You must not:

  • intend to undertake any other employment;
  • be a majority shareholder of the company;

At the same time, the company must:

  • have its business headquarters and principal place of business outside of the UK;
  • have no active branch, subsidiary or other representative of the business in the UK;
  • intend to establish and operate a registered branch or wholly-owned subsidiary of that overseas business;
  • Intend for the registered branch or wholly-owned subsidiary to operate in the same kind of business activity as the overseas business.

Can you bring family?

Family provide love and support; moving to a new country can be daunting but having a supportive family unit can help to make the transition easier.

Your spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner plus any dependent children can apply to join you in the UK.

If you are concerned about schooling for your children, then do not be alarmed, all children on this Visa route are entitled to a state education. No child can be refused a place at a state school due to doubts about their immigration status. When deciding on a UK school to send your children to, you can look at the OFSTED league tables, which measure school standards.

You can also send your children to Private Fee Paying Schools.

Your dependents will receive the same length of Visa as the main applicant. They will be also able to work without restriction.

You can instruct us at Farani Taylor Solicitors today by calling 0207 242 1666 or email us.

City Solicitors Immigraton Lawyer Farhan Farani

Farhan Farani

Managing Director
Biography Farhan Farani is the founding partner of Farani Taylor Solicitors (UK Immigration solicitor in London), he is passionate about creating...
Read Profile