Gustavo’s in-depth areas of expertise include:
- Asylum and Migration
- Human Rights and International Law
- Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Sexuality
- Race and Ethnicity
- Cultural Practices and Comparative / Public International Law
Gustavo is a Legal Adviser with experience in Human Rights and International Law. As a Master of Laws and a Ph.D. candidate in Law, he is primarily focused in the protection of Human Rights in the international scenario, working with a wide variety of immigration and asylum matters. With practise both in Brazil and in the UK, he is skilled to deal with intricate issues and experience in cases brought to the Supreme Court and to International Courts. He finds trans and multi-disciplinary approaches involving Law, Critical Theory and International Jurisprudence.
His notable cases include the protection of vulnerable people and issues involving persecution on the basis of race, religious beliefs or sexuality (in which he specialises). Gustavo has a vast amount of previous experience with management of complex situations and as a legal representative of the U.S. American Bar Association for Human Rights. He has further enhanced his skills as a speaker, by taking part in speeches at Oxford University, United Nations Centre of Human Rights, and the International Red Cross in Iran. He has also published his first book in 2017, and his first collaboration with the Law Society website in 2018.
Ph.D. (candidate – 2019)
- Visiting Researcher at Birkbeck University of London (2017/2019)
- Visiting Student at Kings College – Human Rights Law and Anti-Discrimination Law (2018)
- Freedom and Sexuality: LGBTQI+ Rights in the Commonwealth – Kaleidoscope Trust and Cumberland Lodge meeting for young leaders– Windsor (2018)
- Siences Po – Université Sorbonne de Paris Cité; Political Sciences Conference (2017)
- Visiting Student at the Grotius Centre of Human Rights – Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and International Law (2016)
- Advanced Studies in International Criminal Law (2014)
- Visiting Student at the Classic University of Lisbon (2009).
- Cumberland Lodge Freedom Series for Emerging Leaders (2018)
- Ministry of Education Scholarship for Doctoral Research (2017)
- Grotius Centre for International Legal Students (2016)
- Member of the Sexual Diversity Commission of the Brazilian Bar Association and Legal Advisor at the Dignity Group in partnership with UNESCO and UNAIDS
- Coach/Assistant of the Brazilian team to the ICC Moot Court Competition in New York and The Hague (2011/2016).
- Reviewer of Law Journals (2015 – present).
- Teaching assistant – International Law and Theory of Law.
- Prominent Student Award (2013)