Immigration Tips For Foreign Students

As the new academic year fast approaches, students from overseas will be preparing to come to the UK to study.

In the midst of packing your personal belongings, buying your textbooks or other course-based equipment, don’t forget about UK border entry requirements.  The last thing you need on the final leg of your long journey is to be held up at border controls.

The UK Border Agency has recently issued the following useful, timely advice for foreign students:-

  1. Make a note of a suitable UK contact including full name, address and a phone number which will be required when you complete your landing card.
  2. Ensure you complete your landing card before you meet the Border Force officer in the UK.
  3. If you carry your passport in a protective wallet, please take it out before you present it to a Border Force officer.
  4. Never give false or misleading information (including forged or counterfeit documents) to a Border Force officer.
  5. Have the details of your university confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) number and medical card (if you have one) in your hand luggage that you carry with you on to the aircraft.  If you don’t have your CAS number to hand, please bring thorough details of your course of study.
  6. There are restrictions on food products that you can bring to the UK from outside the European Union, even for personal use.  Restrictions apply to products made from meat, dairy, fish, eggs and honey, as well as some fruit, vegetables and plants (e.g. bulbs, seeds, cut flowers and tree bark).
  7. There are also restrictions on the amount of goods such as tobacco, alcohol and gifts you can bring in the UK.  If you exceed your allowances all of your goods can be taken away from you.
  8. Never bring in counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, firearms (including realistic imitations), offensive weapons (including knives) or indecent or obscene material.
  9. Make sure you are familiar with the conditions of your visa including the number of hours you are allowed to work.
  10. You must declare any sums of cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you are travelling from a country outside the European Union.

If you would like further information on UK Border Agency rules and entry restrictions, or if you’re currently trying to secure settlement status in the UK and need legal representation, please contact Farani Taylor on +44 (0) 20 7242 1666 or 0203 301 6666

Share Button

Signup to Receive Our Newsletter

  • Farani Taylor helped my wife and I gain entry clearance into the UK. They are extremely honest and I always felt happy that my application was in good hands.Mr. M. Dogdu

  • Farani Taylor helped my parents' application for settlement in the UK. They offer a very personalised and professional service. Their team of solicitors and advisors are approachable and I would strongly recommend Farani Taylor to a friend. The reason is that they know their stuff and want to help you out.Dr. Sarim

  • I appreciate the most that I have been provided with the right legal advice and my file was really cared for. I would definitely recommend Farani Taylor because I was directed rightly and received a good result in a really short time.Mr. H Erkol

  • I appreciated the care and concern with which Farani Taylor dealt with the case and the personal attention Farani Taylor provided. That the case was a success is very much due to your thoughtful and meticulous piecing together of the evidence and the care and consideration that went into it. Thank you very much.Ms. Vinita Damodaran